Where Can Your Online Degree Take You?
You may have already decided to pursue an online university degree, or perhaps you’re still considering your options. Either way, it is important to understand the positive results you can expect from earning a college degree.
Thinking about furthering your education with an online university degree? Consider the facts:
- According to a Census Bureau survey in 2002, a bachelor’s degree will help you earn nearly $1 million more over your lifetime than simply a high school diploma. Having a master’s degree could help you gain almost an additional half million dollars while holding a professional degree could earn you more than double that of a bachelor’s degree. Those are some pretty powerful numbers.
- The 2000 census reported that 26% of Americans had at least a bachelor’s degree. The results from the most recent (2010) census should have much higher statistics. These numbers prove that having a college education is becoming the norm, and not having one will put you at a disadvantage in a job search.
- Thanks to technology and scientific advances, jobs and the skills needed to do them are changing rapidly. More and more jobs require an education beyond high school. Having a degree will help you to qualify for many more positions than you would otherwise. In fact, you may find it impossible to break into some fields without a degree, including finance, education, medicine and law.
- Jobs today are not stagnant. Keeping up with new methods, practices and technologies can help to put you ahead of others in your field. Those who continue to educate themselves in their industries will be the first to be promoted.
- Future opportunities may be available to you in ways you may not even be considering now if you have a degree. At this time you may not believe that you would want to go back to school again for an advanced degree, but your career may take you in a different direction. Having an undergraduate degree will allow you to move forward with further education in the future.
The Benefits of Online University Degrees
Earning potential, job advancement, thirst for knowledge, and career change are all great reasons to consider a college education. Attaining your degree from a traditional college or online university can provide you with all of those things, though it is important to understand the benefits of an online university degree in particular.
Earn your degree quicker. Many online universities offer accelerated programs to help you finish your degree in as little as two years.
You can continue to work full-time. By earning your degree online, you are able to schedule your coursework and tests around your other obligations.
Career focused programs. Many types of online university degrees are career focused and only require courses in your field, while traditional universities may make you take electives and other classes not relevant to your industry.
Learn about technology while you learn your field. While obtaining your degree online you will gain a full understanding of a computer’s capabilities, including business software, online forums, audio streams and digital presentations.
Spend less money. Not only do most online universities cost less than traditional colleges, by earning an online university degree you will save on room and board, transportation and textbook costs.
The old adage seems to be correct: furthering your education is an investment in your future. If you’re on the fence about whether or not to enroll in an online university degree program because of finances, time constraints or motivation, consider the positive impact it may have on your future first.